Monday, November 18, 2013

Back so soon?

Well, sure! I'm sitting here in supervised study hall with seven students who I have to force to remain silent for another two hours. I have three classes left to teach this term, and I think all of them are going to be essentially free-form discussions with student-generated philosophy questions. This means no lesson plans.

So where does that leave us? Well, here are some things that have happened since last post and/or things I forgot about:

A visit from Silicon Valley legend Mitch Kapor, who's responsible for the program that eventually became Excel, not to mention Firefox:


I have absolutely no idea what he was doing in Jordan, but he was an awesome guy: really passionate and energetic, and he spoke right to the kids and at their level. It didn't stop the entire row of sophomores behind me from falling asleep, but generally the kids were interested, and they should've been. He's an incredible guy with some amazing stories, and he seemed very eager to share some real wisdom about his experiences from writing programs in his bedroom to deciding not to invest in Twitter on day 1 (which he said was his biggest mistake. I wish I could make mistakes that big). A fantastic guest to have at King's, and I feel lucky to have seen him. 

Also, it's my last day with G Block tomorrow after two solid days of discussion and reading. I think I'll miss them but I want to save the mopey reminiscing. for the aftermath. Instead, here are some of the fruits of my labors in preparation for our final class Symposium:


Yasmine helped, but I did most of it. I don't think I'm ever buying chocolate chips in Jordan again, because that shit was like two thirds of my salary. But the cookies do look pretty good (if I do say so myself), and some of them have pretzels inside! I know, I'm a maverick.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST:

King's has finally graced the internet with THE FIRST PERFORMANCE OF THE KING'S ACADEMY GLEE CLUB!!!

Watch and laugh/enjoy. I'm proud of them, and I think all things considered we did a pretty good job. There are some moments in there that kinda sound like music! (All credit to Nana for spotting this video before I did).

Anyway. If I get real bored, I may well update again. I do have more than a hundred minutes remaining in this fluorescent purgatory. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment